In the Central Okanagan home owners are increasingly exploring the option of building carriage homes on their existing properties for a variety of reasons. Carriage home usages include:
- rental suites
- housing for extended family members
- guest accommodations
- home offices
- home based businesses
Little House Contracting specializes in the construction of these small homes.
If a carriage home is something that you have thought about adding to your real estate portfolio, here are a few helpful questions to ask yourself:
- Is your property currently zoned to allow for a carriage home?
- If your property is not zoned to allow for a carriage home, would it be reasonable to rezone to build a second dwelling on your land?
- What is the rental situation in your area? Is there a demand for rental accommodation?
- Are you interested in managing tenants on your property?
- What will the monthly costs of your carriage home be and what amount of revenue will your carriage home generate? Will your cash flow be positive?
- How long will it take to pay off the money invested? Once the money invested is paid off, what will your monthly income be?
- Will the cost of building your carriage home increase the value of your property in proportion to the amount you will spend to build?
- Do you have a secondary use for carriage home space?
Stockwell House - Kelowna's first Little House Carriage Home